Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Buttermilk Fried Chicken

Martha Stewart should have her own 911 number for the times that I try a new recipe. I found this nice "healthy" recipe and optimistically gave it a shot. The fire department should probably stand by too.....

Where I went wrong....

I bought like skinny little pieces of chicken and the recipe calls for "chicken breasts with bones"... not sure exactly what they look like and didn't see 'em in the poultry section.

Here's the recipe:

4 (8 inch) bone-in skinless chicken breast halves
1 cup low fat buttermilk
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
Vegetable oil for frying

It says to let the chicken sit in buttermilk (in a plastic bag) overnight. (This was mistake #2. I totally missed this step.)

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. combine the flour, salt, paprika, and cayenne in a another large-top plastic bag, seal and shake to mix. Add the chicken pieces, seal, and shake the bag until the pieces are coated. (Mistake #3 - I was out of ziplock bags! Argh!!)

Heat 1-inch of oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet or two smaller skillets over medium-high heat and fry the chicken breasts until browned, about 4 minutes on each side. Place the chicken on an aluminum foil-lined baking sheet and bake until crisp on the outside and cooked through, about 10 minutes on each side.

Surprisingly, Ken said it was the best chicken I've ever made. So maybe I don't have to be Martha Stewart after all....

No comments: