Thursday, April 9, 2009

Ken's Pasta


My name is Chris and I am a planner who hates surprises and short notice. In a moment of weakness, I married a man who hates to plan, loves surprises and believes that 10 minutes is fair notice. (The only thing I have ever known him to plan our his gun trips.)

So when he called me the other night and said he was having his brother over for dinner and I had about 30 minutes to pull something together, I was reminded that I only have myself to blame. :)
So in Ken's honor I created the easiest meal I could make that required actual cooking. (You don't get wifey points for ordering takeout apparently.)

I took a jar of four cheese alfredo sauce and added it to a full box of cooked penne pasta. Because Ken loves garlic (and owns a big bottle of mouthwash), I threw 1/4 tsp of garlic. The pasta takes less than fifteen minutes to cook. Once you mix the sauce and pasta, you can top it with some shredded parmesan cheese. It's tasty (and fattening so use the light afredo if your calorie conscious) and very easy. Add a side salad or some veggies and you've got yourself a very economical meal for five.

The cost of this meal was $4.08 for the pasta and sauce together. Add a bag of vegetable steamers for a cost of $2.88 and you've just fed your family for about $7.00.

The recipe for Ken's pasta:

1 box of penne pasta (whole grain is better for you)
1 jar of alfredo sauce (with various seasonings if you prefer)
1/4 tsp garlic
add Parmasean cheese to taste
salt and pepper to taste

No comments: