Saturday, April 11, 2009

This is not Grandma's Meatloaf

Yesterday I pulled out the recipes that I've accumulated from Grandma and my college roommates.

While I've made Grandma's recipe at least a dozen times, it seems time to move toward a healthier one.

(Note: My meatloaf isn't pictured here because let's face it - meatloaf does not photograph well. :)

So I chose to use a recipe from my new cookbook that I ordered online from Barnes and Noble. It's a bargain book and cost $5.98. Not only did I get a great deal but this book rocks! It's my new favorite cookbook.

So here's my new recipe for a healthier meatloaf:

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped (it calls for red onion but those make me sick so I used a white one)
1 (8-ounce) can sliced mushrooms (I was out of mushrooms)
2 slices whole-wheat or white bread, crumbled
1/2 tomato juice or vegetable juice cocktail (I was out of this so I substituted diluted tomato soup)
1 tsp soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning mix
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 pound lean ground turkey
1 egg beaten
1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Saute the onion in the oil. Once they're softened add the mushrooms and saute until softened. (Should be about 3 minutes) Remove pan from heat and add: bread, tomato juice, soy sauce, seasoning mix, salt, and pepper. Stir to mix. Let stand until the bread is soaked (5 minutes).

Stir in the ground turkey into the mushroom mixture until mostly broken up. Add the egg and cheese and mix until evenly distributed.

I have found that lining my loaf pans with aluminum foil really saves me time on the clean up. Bake for an hour and ten minutes.

For the record, I hate grocery shopping and will do anything to avoid it so when it comes to recipes I frequently improvise. :) Dare to be creative!

No comments: