Monday, November 22, 2010

My Grandmother's Bread Stuffing

I love stuffing. Next to mashed potatoes, it's my favorite thing to eat on Thanksgiving. When I first made my grandmother's recipe, my husband was skeptical because he strongly disliked every other stuffing he'd ever had (i.e. his grandmother's :) but after eating this - he was converted. In fact, we never have enough stuffing when I host family gatherings so you might just want to double this. What doesn't fit in your bird can be baked in a CorningWare dish.

Ingredients:

3/4 cup butter (no margarine!)
2 large stalks of celery, chopped
1 medium sized onion, chopped
15 slices of bread torn into pieces
1 teaspoon salt (add more if need be)
1/2 teaspoon pepper

Preparations:

  1. Saute onion and celery in melted butter until onions and celery are soft.
  2. Add salt and pepper.
  3. In large mixing bowl, combine butter/onion/celery mixture with bread. Mix well.
Here's a tip - it's better to have wet stuffing than dry stuffing so if you find that once you mix your stuffing it's a bit dry then add more butter. Place stuffing inside your very well cleaned out turkey and bake.

No comments: