Friday, December 24, 2010

Betty Crocker's Mexican Lasagna

My father used to joke that my mother's idea of cooking was turning everything on high and then getting on the phone. (The woman loved to talk!)

I thought that was funny until I turned into the mom who stopped reading cooking directions and started messing up easy recipes like this one. I got home from work, grocery shopping and running errands to find that I had barely any time to cook dinner the other night so Betty to the rescue!

I'd like to blame my lack of time for messing this recipe up but really - I think I just got cocky.

Betty Crocker has humbled me. :)

Ingredients:

8 uncooked lasagna noodles (the recipe calls for 10 but a 13x9 pan only fits four across unless you plan on breaking noodles?)
1 1/2lbs lean ground beef (1lb isn't enough)
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1 - 15 oz container of Ricotta cheese
2 jars (16 ounces each) Salsa
2 cups shredded Monterrey Jack cheese

If you go searching for this recipe, you'll see that I modified it and cursed Betty while searching for a second jar of salsa because one wasn't enough. Did I mention I had company coming over too?

Preparations:
  1. COOK THE NOODLES AS DIRECTED ON THE PACKAGE. (I didn't and ended up with chewy lasagna - NOT GOOD.)
  2. Cook beef, onion, and cilantro over medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes. Stir or burn!
  3. Line the bottom of your 13x9 pan with FOUR noodles.
  4. Layer beef mixture and then half of the Ricotta cheese. (Ricotta cheese isn't as easy to spread as cottage cheese so feel free to substitute!)
  5. Pour one jar (16 ounces) of salsa evenly over the layer.
  6. Add remaining noodles and layer with the beef, Ricotta cheese, and salsa.
  7. Top with Monterrey Jack cheese.
  8. Bake at 375 for 35 to 40 minutes.
If you're doing a potluck on Christmas or Christmas Eve like my family does, I do recommend this dish. It feeds eight.

No comments: