Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Left Over Turkey Chili in a Crockpot

When my husband heard I was making this, he asked one question - "Did you make up the recipe or find one?" Apparently, whether he was going to try this dish was actually dependent on my answer. :)

This recipe comes from Simply Recipes and as my husband will attest to - it's actually quite good. I still had potatoes leftover (that I didn't use to make mashed potatoes) so I served the chili over baked potatoes with sour cream and shredded sharp cheddar cheese. It was really yummy!

Ingredients:

2 cups chopped onion
4 garlic cloves, chopped fine (or 2 tablespoons of garlic)
1 cup chopped green pepper
4 (14.5 oz) cans crushed tomatoes
2 (15 oz) cans kidney beans, drained
2 Tbsp tomato paste
3/4 cup chicken or turkey stock
2 Tbsp chili powder
1 Tbsp ground cumin
1 Tbsp dried hot red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 Tbsp salt, plus more if desired to taste
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
3 to 4 cups of shredded, cooked turkey meat

Preparations:

If you don't want to do this in a crock pot, check out the directions on Simply Recipes. I like to dump everything in my crock pot and then do other stuff while keeping an eye on it.
  1. Combine all of the ingredients (as they described above) in a 6 quart crock pot.
  2. Mix well.
  3. Cook on low for four hours. Taste and add salt/pepper/ or other spices as needed.

No comments: