This cake was a huge hit and my husband (who does the most complaining about my "too" sweet cakes) ate three slices.
- 1 box Betty Crocker® SuperMoist® lemon cake mix
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 can (15.75 oz) lemon pie filling
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- Heat oven to 350°F for shiny metal pans (325°F for dark or nonstick pans). Grease and slightly flour bottoms and sides of two 8- or 9-inch round cake pans with shortening or cooking spray; lightly flour (or spray with cooking spray or baking spray with flour).
- In large bowl, beat cake ingredients with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds, then on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Pour into pans.
- Bake and cool as directed on box for 8- or 9-inch rounds.
- In chilled medium bowl, beat whipping cream and powdered sugar with electric mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form. Fold in 1/2 cup of the pie filling and the grated orange peel.
- Place 1 cake layer, rounded side down, on serving plate. Spread remaining pie filling over layer to within 1/4 inch of edge. Top with second layer, rounded side up. Spread whipped cream mixture over side and top of cake. Garnish top of cake with strips of lemon and orange peel. Store covered in refrigerator.
|Make sure your whipping cream is stiff or it will be too runny to be frosting.|