Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Easy Chicken Enchiladas with Green Sauce

Here's my suggestion for recipes that call for cooked chicken. I buy frozen skinless chicken breasts and dump them in my crock pot with enough chicken broth so the chicken is immersed. Then I cook the chicken until it easily tears apart. It tastes better and requires less attention than baking the chicken in the oven. I can also cook a bunch of chicken at once for multiple recipes. That's exactly what I did for these enchiladas.


Ingredients:
  • 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil (or leftover bacon grease - which is also very unhealthy :)
  • 12 (5 inch) corn tortillas
  • 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies, drained
  • 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
  • 1 can (10 oz) green enchilada sauce
Preparations:
  1. Combine chicken, sour cream, salt, pepper and chilies in a medium sized bowl. Mix well. 
  2. Fry each tortilla in oil (flipping it over) until the tortilla bubbles and is soft. Remove carefully. 
  3. Place tortilla in 9x13 pan. Fill each tortilla with 1 1/2 tablespoons of chicken mixture. Roll tortilla so it's closed.  
  4. Pour green enchilada sauce over tortillas and top with Monterrey Jack cheese. Bake at 400 degrees for 12 minutes or until cheese is completely melted. 
Serves 6
In my haste, I forgot to snap a pic with cheese!

    No comments: