1 cup Guinness
1 stick plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
2 cups superfine sugar
3/4 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- Preheat the over to 350 F, and butter and line a 9 inch springform pan.
- Pour the Guinness into a large wide saucepan, add the butter — in spoons or slices — and heat until the butter's melted, at which time you should whisk in the cocoa and sugar.
- Beat the sour cream with the eggs and vanilla and then pour into the brown, buttery, beery pan and finally whisk in the flour and baking soda.
- Pour the cake batter into the greased and lined pan and bake for 45 minutes to an hour.
- Leave to cool completely in the pan on a cooling rack, as it is quite a damp cake.
- When the cake's cold, sit it on a flat platter or cake stand and sprinkle with powdered sugar.