Sunday, January 9, 2011

Adventures in Couponing

Couponing takes time. It's definitely a trade of time for money. Yesterday I spent a half an hour going over the ads for the local supermarkets and comparing them to the stash of coupons I hoard every month. (I'm finally getting more organized about this.) After a great deal of math, I was able to come up with one really good deal.

Fresh Market (formerly Albertsons) had a "buy 4 boxes of cereal for $10. The cereals were Multi-grain Cheerios, Golden Grahams, Cinnamon Toast Crunch and Wheaties. They also had an in-store coupon that said if you buy "10 boxes of these cereals) you can save $5.

I also had coupons for each of these cereals from coupons.com and smartsource that allowed me to save $1 for every two boxes I bought except for the Cinnamon Toast Crunch. I had a .55 coupon for each of those boxes. I figured that if I bought 12 boxes I would get the 4 for 10 deal so before coupons I went spend $30 plus taxe. After 10 boxes, I saved $5. Add $6.10 of my coupons to that and I spent approximately $1.55 per box.

Couponing while it takes time, can really pay off in the long run. There are also some really great sites out there that you can subscribe to. They'll send you daily updates on deals so you don't have to all of the leg work on your own.

Here's a list of sites I get daily emails from:


Krazy Coupon Lady
We Use Coupons
Stockpiling Moms

We Use Coupons was actually featured on Nightline and has a youtube video on their site that will show you how to get started.

Happy Clipping! Leave me a comment if you're new to couponing and find this helpful.

No comments: