Monday, January 17, 2011

Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff

This recipe calls for beef stew meat and maybe at regular grocery stores that means that the meat is prepackaged into chopped up pieces? (If anyone knows, leave a comment please!) At the commissary on the air force base where I regularly shop for groceries, there's no such thing as beef stew meat so I had to buy 2lbs of meat and try to cut it into small pieces. I gave up after cutting up a pound! It's hard to cut up raw meat. I liked this recipe a lot and it's not hard to make at all. If you use a 6 qt crockpot you can actually cut the cooking time in half. It makes 8 servings.


Ingredients:

2     pounds beef stew meat
1     cup chopped onion
1     can (10 3/4 ounces) condensed cream of golden mushroom soup
1     can (10 3/4 ounces) condensed cream of onion soup (I couldn't find this soup so I used an additional can of cream of mushroom soup)
1     jar (6 ounces) Green Giant® sliced mushrooms, drained (I used two 4 oz cans)
1/4     teaspoon pepper
1     package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
1     container (8 ounces) sour cream
6     cups hot cooked noodles or rice 
Salt to Taste

Preparations:
  1. In 3 1/2- to 4 1/2-quart slow cooker, mix beef, onion, soups, mushrooms and pepper.
  2. Cover and cook on low heat setting 8 to 10 hours or until beef is very tender.
  3. Stir cream cheese into beef mixture until melted. Stir sour cream into beef mixture. Serve over noodles or rice.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Chris, If you freeze the meat for a little bit it will cut a lot easier. I use this trick when I need to slice meat for stir fry and It needs to be really thin. I pull the meat out of the freezer and let it thaw to the point that its not soft but not frozen solid.

Stew meat can be any tougher cut meat because typically you simmer the meat and can get away with the tougher, cheaper cut.

http://www.recipetips.com/glossary-term/t--36121/stew-meat.asp