1 small eggplant
3/4 lb lean ground beef or turkey
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1 8 ounce can of tomato sauce
1 tablespoon butter
4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup skim milk
3 tablespoons grate Parmesan cheese
- Cook eggplant in skillet with 1/2 inch of boiling water, covered. Should take about 6 minutes unless you're me and you get distracted by the dishwasher that needs unloading. Drain water and set eggplant aside.
- In same skillet, cook ground beef, onion and garlic until beef is brown and onions are tender.
- Add tomato sauce. Bring to boil. Simmer uncovered for 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour, salt and pepper. Add milk and stir until it's thickened to the consistency of a sauce. Remove from heat.
- In a casserole dish that you've sprayed with nonstick whatever, place half of your eggplant in the bottom. Cover with meat mixture. Add remaining eggplant.
- Pour sauce over eggplant and meat. Top with Parmesan cheese.