Sunday, March 20, 2011

Irish Heritage Cabbage

Okay, so St. Patrick's day has come and gone - and as my Grams would say "I'm running so far behind I can see myself coming up the hill in my rear view mirror." She'd agree that I'm not only sleep deprived but sorely running behind on everything including my blog.



Here's a recipe (from Allrecipes.com) for cabbage that's not only good for St. Patrick's day dinner but also Sunday dinner.

Ingredients:
  • 2 slices Irish bacon, diced
  • 1 medium head cabbage, cored and cut into wedges 
  • 2 tablespoons melted butter 
  • 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg 
  • 2 cups water salt and pepper to taste 
  • 1/2 cup red wine vinegar 
Preparations:
  1. Preheat your oven's broiler. 
  2. Place cabbage into a large pot. Add water and bring to a boil. Simmer over low heat until tender, about 15 minutes. 
  3. Meanwhile, cook bacon in a skillet over medium-high heat until crisp. Drain and set aside. Drain cabbage, and drizzle with melted butter. Sprinkle with bacon and nutmeg. Transfer to a baking dish. 
  4. Place under your oven's broiler until the top layer is lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Serve with salt, pepper and vinegar as desired.

No comments: