Sunday, September 4, 2011

I saved money when I got the cashier to stop flirting and do her job.

What's the point of having a blog if you can't share some lovely experiences? KC woke up at 5:15 a.m. on Saturday morning. (Because this kid is an eating machine!) Unfortunately after he ate 6 ounces of formula, he had zero desire to go back to sleep. So I figured why not head to Smith's grocery store (which should be empty at 6 a.m. on a Saturday morning) and use my coupons. I had a huge stack of coupons for buy one, get one free and $1.00 off two. I wanted to use them on toiletries and dish soap. I figure why not buy a five year supply if I can get if for $20?

So I bought all the items they still had and when I got to the checkout, I realized that the only lines they had open were the self check out lines. I took note of the young female cashier "supervising" at the head of the area and began to ring up my items. KC and I had been there for a while so I tried to do it quickly because I knew he was about to get vocal. When I was done, I asked the cashier what I should do about the coupons. She said "Hit the coupon button." I stared at the screen and said "There is no button." "Oh, you have to hit the pay now."

Yeah, that chick tore herself away from flirting with a teenage boy for a whole five seconds to help me with that! After I hit the button, I gave her my big stack of coupons. I heard the sound of her scanning hem while all the while - staring at the boy nearby. When she was done, I noticed the total only showed $3 of coupons. I asked her about it because my total was $43.69 and she replied that she scanned them in. I thought that if I hit the pay now, maybe the screen would adjust itself and ran my card. No adjustment! Just a much bigger total than I expected.

When the receipt printed, I checked the coupon total and found it really was only $3 off. At that point, KC began to make noise. Not to be undone by a six-month-old, I interrupted the cashier and showed her my receipt. It took me at least two minutes to convince her that the coupons hadn't been entered right. Then she said "I'm about to get off shift in five minutes." Very politely I asked if someone else could help then. She said no, but still had to get the cashier that was coming on shift because she didn't know how to undo her mistake. Ten minutes later, I got a refund that brought my new total for all of the below - to $22.23.


In all fairness, the kid apologized and I resisted the urge to point out that if she had listened to me in the first place, she would have gotten off shift on time. :)

No comments: