Thursday, November 17, 2011

Better Homes and Garden's Macaroni Salad

My husband reminded me at 8:30 p.m. last night that I had agreed to make two dishes for his potluck beekeeper meeting. With the food poisoning and all, it really slipped my mind.  Like completely and totally - it wasn't even a thought in my blonde head. So, instead of going to bed as I desperately wanted to,  I made this salad. No, he did not get a second dish. I was much too optimistic when I volunteered the second one.

Macaroni salads are good for two reasons. 1) They are easy to make and 2) Most of the ingredients on our hand if you do any sort of cooking or have kids. 'Tis the season to bring side dishes and what not to holiday gatherings. If you have a "moment" - try this recipe.




Ingredients:
  • 1 cup elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
  • 3/4 cup cubed cheddar cheese
  • 1/2 cup thinly sliced celery
  • 1/2 cup thinly sliced radishes (I don't like these so I left them out)
  • 1/2 cup frozen peas (I used green peppers instead)
  • 2 tablespoons chopped onion
  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise or salad dressing
  • 1/4 cup chopped sweet or dill pickles or sweet or dill relish (so many choices!)
  • 2 tablespoons milk
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • black pepper
  • 2 hard boiled eggs
  • Cayenne pepper is you like spice. Add to taste.
Preparations:
  1. Cook and drain pasta according to directions. Rinse with cold water and let completely cool.
  2. While pasta is boiling, cook the eggs until they are hard boiled. They need to cool before you chop them into small pieces.
  3. In a big bowl - mix cold pasta, cheese, celery, peas, radishes, and onion. 
  4. In a small bowl - mix salad dressing or mayonnaise with milk, pickles (or relish), salt, pepper and cayenne if you opted for it. 
  5. Pour dressing over pasta and added chopped eggs. Mix really well. Cover and refrigerate for 4 to 24 hours in advance. (The "in advance" is the only way to go if you are busy with work and blah, blah, blah.)

No comments: