Tuesday, November 29, 2011

My secret sweet and spicy chili

I won't lie - I'm sick to death of cooking chili however, my sweet and spicy chili has gotten such great reviews that I decided I should share the recipe. It's similar to my other chili recipe but has a sweet taste to it that helps mellow out the spicy-ness. Just as a note, I had to go to two stores to get the Rotel tomatoes with Habeneros and found that only Target carries them in my town.

My brother-in-law (who's 29, very cute and single if any gals are interested) and I swap recipes. He made this with ground turkey and said it was good. I also fed it to my husband's best friend and son who apparently ate all the leftovers causing me to listen to a rant that I could have done without. :) No picture because if you've seen one chili - you've seen them all. :)

Ingredients:
  • 2lbs ground beef, cooked and drained
  • 1 cup sweet onions, chopped
  • 1 chopped red pepper
  • 1 tablespoon of minced garlic
  • 1 – 10 oz can of diced tomatoes with Habeneros (Rotel makes it)
  • 1 – 10 oz can of diced tomatoes with green chiles
  • 2 - 15 ounce cans of kidney beans, rinsed and drained
  • 2 - 14.5 ounce cans of diced tomatoes
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 1 teaspoon thyme
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
Preparations:

  1. Pour meat into 6 quart crock pot.
  2. Add all remaining ingredients except cheese. Mix well.
Cook on low for 4 hours. Add cheese right before serving

No comments: