Thursday, November 3, 2011

You don't have to be an extreme couponer

Technically, I don't think "couponer" is a legitimate word but as most of the U.S. knows, it's a term that's become very common in the last few years. Why "couponing" has become so popular is really simple. We all want to save money regardless of whether the recession has affected your household or not.

Honestly, I never thought that I'd be a full-time working mom. It wasn't part of my plan for raising children. But alas, our family's finances dictate that we be a two income household. I make a point of telling my stepdaughters, Kess and Kali, that I'm not leaving them with a sitter because I want to buy expensive clothes or drive a really nice car (to each their own!). They know that I do it because I want them to have great healthcare if they're sick and I want them to be able to go to college and not graduate with debt that will take them 20 years off. I want my kids to have the best possible life so I clip coupons, shop for deals on literally everything and I work. It's not ideal and doing both jobs is more than I can handle some days. Still, we do what we must right?

That brings me to my point. The next time you head to the grocery store without any coupons, ask yourself this - is it worth the time to go to http://www.coupons.com and print off some coupons for items on your list? Do you want save a few dollars by purchasing the generic over name brands? Could you use a few extra dollars?

It's food for thought my friends. :)

If you want to learn more about couponing basics, check out the Fabulous Gals at FabulesslyFrugal.

No comments: