Here's a new take on the holiday tradition of mashed potatoes.
- 6 medium baking potatoes (2 1/2 to 3 lb), peeled, cut into fourths
- 1/2 cup milk, heated
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1 1/2 cups finely shredded Cheddar cheese (6 oz)
- In 4-quart saucepan, place potato pieces and add enough water to cover. Heat to boiling; reduce heat to medium-low. Cook uncovered 15 to 20 minutes or until tender. Drain and return to saucepan.
- Heat potatoes over low heat about 1 minute to dry potatoes, shaking pan often to keep potatoes from sticking and burning. (This will help make mashed potatoes fluffy.)
- Heat oven to 350°F. Spray 8-inch square (2-quart) glass baking dish with cooking spray. Add milk, salt and pepper to potatoes. Mash with potato masher until no lumps remain. Beat in sour cream, chives and 1/2 cup of the cheese. Spoon into baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining 1 cup cheese.
- Bake uncovered 10 to 15 minutes or until thoroughly heated and cheese is melted.