Thursday, February 2, 2012

Peanut Butter Oatmeal Bars with Chocolate Frosting

I've seen this recipe posted in multiple places around the web with and without detailed instructions for the chocolate frosting. If you have pre-made stuff on hand, I say go with that and save yourself the time.

On another note, I'd like to add that I'm 35lbs lighter than I was when I went back to work after giving birth to babizilla. Wish I could say that I worked super hard and now I'm completely and totally fit! But alas, it was water. It's taken me 10 months to get rid of 80lbs of water weight. (Yes, it really was water because I was blessed to have one of those rare pregnancies where you're sick all day, every day.) Why am I mentioning this? Because I made up mind to lose another 20 lbs (cause I'm crazy, apparently) and figured the only way to do it was to give up my penchant for desserts and oreos. However, I allowed myself to taste a little bit of this batter and it was heaven. Of course, I'm really hungry. :)


Preparations:
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1/2 cup shortening
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1/2 cup peanut butter
  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon soda
  • 3 cups quick cooking oatmeal 
Chocolate Frosting
  • 1 2/3 cups sugar
  • 6 tablespoons butter
  • 6 tablespoons milk
  • 2/3 cup chocolate chips
Preparations:
  1. Cream the shortening, butter and sugars. Stir in the eggs, vanilla, and peanut butter. Stir in remaining ingredients. 
  2. Put in a greased 9x13 pan. 
  3. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool. 
  4. Boil the sugar, butter and milk for 30 seconds. Stir in the chocolate chips until smooth. Pour the frosting over the oatmeal bars and allow to cool before cutting.

No comments: