Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Low Calorie Turkey Taco Salad

I'm slightly addicted to buying cheap cooking books. I actually bought this one at a discount on Barnes and Noble online. (I'm a member so I don't have to spend $25 to get free shipping.) This is by far the best kid's cookbook I've come across (and bought) yet. In fact, it really doesn't seem like it's geared towards kids, it's just geared towards healthy eating.

Ingredients:

12 ounces uncooked ground Turkey
1 15 oz can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup whole kernel corn (I went with canned rather than frozen)
1 cup bottled salsa
1/4 cup water
4 to 6 cups shredded lettuce
1/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
1 cup broken baked tortilla chips

Preparations:
  1. Brown turkey over medium heat until no longer pink.
  2. Drain off fat.
  3. Add beans, corn, salsa and water.
  4. Bring to boil, reduce heat. Simmer, covered for 2 to 3 minutes.
  5. Line four bowls or plates with lettuce. Top with hot turkey mixture. Sprinkle with cheese and tortilla chips.
Calories: 275 per serving

No comments: