|Note that I cooked it just a little too long...|
- 1 1/2 cups dry breadcrumbs
- 1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 2 1/2 teaspoons seasoning salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 6 (6 ounce) cod fish fillets (about 3/4-inch thick)
- 3 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 6 -7 tablespoons vegetable oil (more or less as needed)
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees (set oven rack to second-lowest position).
- In a large heavy ziploc plasic bag combine bread crumbs, cornmeal, seasoning salt, lemon pepper, cayenne and garlic powder; shake the bag to mix (can use a shallow bowl).
- In a shallow bowl slightly beat the eggs.
- Adding one piece of fish at a time to the bag, coat well with the mixture, then remove and dip the fish in the eggs, then return to the bag to coat the fish again, repeat for all of the cod pieces; transfer to a plate.
- Heat about 3 tablespoons oil in a large 12-inch ovenproof skillet (preferably cast-iron) over high heat until hot but not smoking.
- Fry the fish until the undersides are golden brown (about 1 minute).
- Turn over and add in another 3-4 tablespoons oil; cook another 1 minute more.
- Place the skillet in the oven and bake for about 5-6 minutes or until JUST cooked through.