Tip: My grandfather taught me to clean potatoes by taking a BRAND NEW scotch brite pad and using it to gently clean the potatoes. Save that pad and use it only to clean potatoes.
- 4 large potatoes
- 1/3 cup sour cream (I went for the lite kind)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/16 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper
- shredded cheddar cheese
- chives and bacon bits (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Gently clean potatoes and pierce each potato twice with either a sharp knife or fork.
- Bake potatoes on center oven rack for 65 minutes.
- Remove potatoes from oven using an oven mitt. Cut the top of each potato off so that the remaining potato is in the shape of a canoe.
- Scoop out inside of potatoes and put into a medium sized bowl. (Be gently because you need the shell of the potato.)
- Add butter, sour cream and cayenne pepper to potatoes. Mix well. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Place potato mixture back into potato shells. You can top with chives and bacon bits and then add the cheese or just add cheese.
- Put potatoes into the oven at 375 for 15 - 20 minutes or until cheese is melted and potatoes are warm again.