I learned one valuable lesson from making this cake - never add melted, hot butter while the mixer is whipping around the bowl on high. It flew everywhere!
- 1 (18.25-oz.) package German chocolate cake mix
- 1 (3.9-oz.) package chocolate instant pudding mix
- 3 large eggs, lightly beate
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 1/4 cups milk, divide
- 1 (3.4-oz.) package chocolate cook-and-serve pudding mix
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 1/2 cups miniature marshmallow
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate morsels
- Beat cake mix, instant pudding, eggs, sour cream, butter and vanilla. Add 1 1/4 cups milk at medium speed with an electric mixer 2 minutes
- Pour batter into a lightly greased 4-qt. slow cooker. (I used a 6 qt since my son broke my 4qt.)
- Cook remaining 2 cups milk in a heavy nonaluminum saucepan over medium heat, stirring often, 3 to 5 minutes or just until bubbles appear (do not boil); remove from heat.
- Sprinkle cook-and-serve pudding mix over batter. Slowly pour hot milk over pudding. Cover and cook on LOW 3 1/2 hours.
- Turn off slow cooker. Sprinkle cake with walnuts, marshmallows, and chocolate morsels.
- Let stand 15 minutes or until marshmallows are slightly melted. Spoon into dessert dishes, and serve with ice cream, if desired.