This recipe is from Oprah.com.
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup coarse white grits
- 8 Tbsp. (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 3 cups grated Duhallow or mild Cheddar cheese (about 7 1/2 ounces)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 large eggs , separated
- Note: You may also use instant grits to save time. Prepare them according to package directions, then begin the directions below at the point of preheating the oven.
- Add milk and 2 1/2 cups water to a heavy, medium saucepan; bring to a boil over medium heat. Whisk in grits, and simmer 10 minutes, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to the lowest setting possible; cover and cook until grits are creamy and tender, stirring frequently, about 1 hour (time will vary depending on grits; add hot water if they are getting too thick).
- Preheat oven to 350°. Transfer grits to a large bowl and cool slightly. Stir in butter and cheese; season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in egg yolks.
- Using an electric mixer, beat egg whites with a pinch of salt to stiff peaks. Fold into grits. Transfer to a large buttered ovenproof dish and bake until golden, about 45 minutes. Serve immediately.